- 2 fresh pizza dough balls, 1lb each
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons basil leaves, roughly torn
- 2 tablespoons parsley leaves, roughly torn
- Salt and pepper
- 16 slices sandwich size salami
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- 1/2 cup peperoncini
- 2 red pepper flake packets (or 1/2 teaspoon)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet tray with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, mix together the ricotta, basil, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Divide the dough into four equal pieces. On a lightly floured work surface roll out one piece of dough into a thin circle.
- Spread 1/4 cup of the ricotta cheese mixture on one half of the circle and layer with 4 slices salami, 2 slices provolone, 2 tablespoons red peppers, 2 tablespoons olives and 2 tablespoons peperoncini. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes and salt and pepper. Fold the other side of the dough over the filling and press the edge to seal. Transfer to the parchment lined tray. Repeat with remaining ingredients to make 4 calzones.
- Use a knife to make 2-3 slits in the top. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Allow the calzones to cool before eating. If packing to go, allow the calzones to cool completely. Store in an airtight container in a fridge or in a lunchbox with an ice pack until ready to eat.