Struggle Meals - "The Chicken or the Egg"
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, grated
- 1 green bell pepper, grated
- 1 small jalapeño, finely chopped lengthwise
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup feta, crumbled
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 slices country loaf bread
- In a cast iron skillet on medium heat, add olive oil and sauté the onion, bell pepper, and jalapeño. Sauté until soft and slightly charred, about 4 to 6 minutes.
- Next, add garlic and cumin. Stir together and cook for another minute.
- Stir in tomatoes and salt, then bring to a simmer.
- With the back of a spoon, create 4 little divots (also referred to as wells) on the quarter hours in the tomato sauce. (Quarter hours are 12, 3, 6, and 9)
- Gently, add 1 egg in each divot. Cover and cook until whites are set and yolks still runny.
- Remove from heat, and sprinkle with feta and parsley.
- Spread butter on both sides of bread. In a skillet on high heat, place bread and toast for 2 minutes, then flip.
- Add toasted bread to the shakshuka and enjoy!