- 2 cups water
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 fennel bulb, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Red pepper flake packet
- 3 pounds beefsteak tomatoes, sliced
- 3 thick slices of day-old crusty bread, cut in cubes
- 1/4 cup torn basil leaves
- To a small saucepot, add the bay leaf, garlic and water. Bring to a boil and simmer.
- Heat a soup pot over medium heat and add the olive oil. Stir in the onion, fennel, garlic and red pepper flakes. Season with salt and pepper and cook 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook for 15 more minutes.
- Stir in the garlic broth, then the bread cubes. Bring to a boil and turn down to simmer for about 15 minutes, or until bread has thickened the soup.
- Serve garnished with basil leaves.