- 1 cup of leftover Pernil
- 1 10 pack of empanada discs (using 4-5) 1⁄2 a cup of orange juice
- 2tbsp of olive oil
- 1⁄2 a cup of green olives halved
- 1⁄2 a cup of red onion sliced
- 1 canned adobo chili chopped
- 1⁄2 tbsp of Cumin
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Canola oil for frying
- Use leftover Elote (2 ears of corn)
- 3 tbsp of Mexican Crema or Mayo
- 1⁄4 tsp of chili powder
- 1⁄4 tsp of smoked paprika
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1 small jalapeno fine dice
- 1⁄4 cup of red onion fine dice
- 1⁄4 cup of cotija
- 1⁄4 cup of cilantro chopped
- 1 tbsp of lime juice
- ● In a Dutch oven over medium heat, heat the olive oil and add the sliced onion. Cook until the onions are caramelized, about 10 minutes.
- ● Add the adobo chili pepper, cumin, orange juice, olives and bring to a simmer until sauce reduces by half about 5mins.
- ● Add the pernil, salt, pepper, and mix well. Remove from heat.
- ● Place your dough discs on a work surface. Fill half of the circles with the pernil mixture, making sure you leave at least 1/2 inch around the edge of the dough. Wet the edges, fold over the dough and crimp the sides with a fork. Chill for 30mins-1hr
- ● Use a heavy skillet or dutch oven and fry at 350 degrees for 4-5 mins or until they are
- golden brown.
- ● Remove from oil and drain on a plate with paper towels.
- ● Cut leftover elote off the cob into a bowl and bring to room temperature.
- ● Mix with red onion, jalapeno, minced garlic, chili powder, smoked paprika, cotija, cilantro, and Mexican crema.
- ● Add lime juice, Salt & Pepper to taste, sprinkle with additional cotija
- ● Serve Pernil empanadas with a side of esquites and Derrell’s hot sauce.