Make this Tonight - "4/20 Highly Delicious Smashburger!"
- 2 large kennebec potatoes scrubbed
- ½ cup distilled white vinegar
- Oil for frying
- Apple Cider Bacon Bits
- White Cheddar Béchamel Sauce
- Sliced Scallions
- Creme Fraiche
- Slice potatoes about ⅛” thick.
- Place in a large bowl, add cold water to cover, and stir to release starch. Drain and repeat until water runs clear.
- Return potatoes to bowl and cover with ½ cup distilled white vinegar and 3 cups water. Allow to sit at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours. Drain the potatoes and pat dry.
- Fit a medium heavy pot with thermometer; pour in oil to measure four inches deep. Heat over medium-high until thermometer registers 300°.
- Working in batches, fry potatoes turning occasionally to cook evenly, until golden brown and crisp (oil will have quit bubbling), about 5 minutes per batch.
- Using a spider or slotted spoon, transfer to a paper towel–lined wire rack. Season with salt.
- To assemble, combine the potato chips and slather in cheese sauce. Top with bacon bits, sliced green scallions, and creme fraiche.