Make this Tonight - "Classic Italiano"
- 1 pound Bucatini
- 28oz Canned San Marzano DOP tomatoes
- 4-6oz Guanciale, cut 1” batons
- White wine to taste
- 6-12 oz Pecorino Romano, grated
- 2-3 Whole dried peperonicini
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- Over high heat bring a large stockpot filled with salted water to boil.
- Heat a saute pan over medium heat add the guanciale. Allow the fat to render and their color to deepen, turning as needed. About 6 minutes.
- Remove them, reserving the rendered fat in the pan, as set the crispy pieces aside.
- In the rendered fat add the chili and allow to sizzle for a few seconds, then deglaze with the white wine.
- Crush the can of tomatoes by hand and add to the saute pan, bring to a gentle simmer.
- As the tomato paste begins forming along the rim of the pan, scrape off and reserve for the arancini.
- Cook the bucatini in heavily salted water for 2 minutes less than the box says.
- Remove bucatini from water and add to saucepan.
- Finish cooking in the sauce over high heat for an additional 90 seconds.
- Turn off the heat and add pecorino while mixing.
- Plate the pasta in a wide bowl, sprinkle with red pepper flakes, more cheese and finally about 90% of the guanciale (saving the rest for the arancini).
- Cover the bowl with a plate to allow the hot pepper to steam.