Yemenite Curry Shakshuka with Yellow Peppers
Make this Tonight - "Cinderella Shakshuka"
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 4 medium garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 large yellow bell peppers cored, seeded and thinly sliced
- ¼ cup sliced preserved lemons, recipe follows
- 1 ½ teaspoon Soup Hawaij, recipe follows
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- One 13 ½- ounce can coconut milk
- 6-8 large eggs
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, and bell peppers and saute in the peppers are soft, 5-7 minutes. Stir in the preserved lemons, hawaij, turmeric, salt, and coconut milk and cook for another 3-4 minutes
- The mixture should be stiff, not thick; if its too think, stir up to ½ cup water. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Use a large spoon to create little wells in the sauce. Carefully break 1 egg in the cup or ramekin, then slip into one of the wells; repeat with the remaining eggs.
- Cover and Simmer until egg whites are set but the yolks and still a little runny, about 7 minutes.
- Serve from skillet with crusty bread or challah