- 1 can (28oz) San Marzano tomatoes
- ½ cup blanched whole almonds
- 2 cloves garlic, microplaned
- ½ Cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ounce Parmigiano cheese, grated
- 40-50 leaves basil
- 2 big pinches kosher salt
- 1 pound dry rigatoni pasta
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place almonds on a small sheet tray and place it in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove and allow to cool.
- In a food processor, grind almonds, basil, 1 pinch salt, and the olive oil.
- Once blended add the tomatoes, cheese, and garlic. Puree until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt if needed.
- In a large stockpot bring heavily salted water to a boil.
- Drop in pasta and cook until al dente. Drain pasta, reserving some of the cooking water.
- Place the noodles in a large bowl and toss with pesto sauce while still hot. Adjust the consistency with reserved pasta water and olive oil. Serve and top with freshly grated parmesan cheese.