Eggplants for Salad
Make this Tonight - "Food from an Iraqi Childhood"
- 1 large or 2 small globe eggplants
- Kosher salt
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Peel the eggplant from top to bottom to make zebra stripes. Cut it ½-inch-thick rounds and transfer to a colander. Set in sink.
- Cover the eggplant generously with salt and let sit for 30 to 45 minutes to draw out water. Rinse thoroughly and pat dry with paper towels
- Line a plate with a paper towel. Fill a wide deep skillet with vegetable oil about 1 inch in depth and heat medium-high for about 3 mins until it reaches 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add about half the eggplant slices; they should be in one layer with some space between them.
- Fry for 2-3 minutes then check the bottom (should be golden brown. Fry for 2 minutes and on the second side, shake the pan occasionally to avoid sticking.
- Transfer eggplant on paper towels to drain excess oil.
- Allow to cool before serving.