- 2 Quarts Buttermilk
- 150 grams Frank’s Red Hot Sauce
- 16 grams salt
- 8 grams sugar
- 5 sprigs dill, torn
- 5 sprigs thyme, torn
- One whole chicken, cut in 8 pieces, leaving as many bones as possible
- 1 quart AP flour
- 1 cup potato starch
- 7.5 grams cayenne pepper
- 15 grams paprika
- 6.25 grams mustard powder
- 1.25 grams garlic powder
- 3.75 grams onion powder
- 6.25 grams black pepper
- 25 grams salt
- Whisk everything together until salt and sugar is dissolved.
- Set chicken aside.
- Whisk all dredge ingredients until combined.
- Take a whole chicken, cut in 8-10 pieces (2 wings, 2 breasts cut in half or not depending on size, 2 thighs, 2 legs) with as many bones left in as possible, and brine it overnight.
- Drain but don't dry it completely then toss in the dredge.
- Let it sit for at least 15-20 minutes but not more than an hour to hydrate the flour and help create the crust.
- Fry in vegetable or peanut oil at 325 Fahrenheit for 12-13 minutes or to an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Drain on a rack or paper towels and season with kosher salt immediately when it comes out of the oil.