- 1½ ounces (40 g) dried hibiscus flowers
- 1 sliver of cinnamon stick
- 1-inch (25 cm) piece of fresh ginger, peeled
- 8 cups (2 L) filtered water
- ¼ cup (50 g) sugar
- In a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat, bring the hibiscus flowers, 1½ cups (360 ml) tap water, cinnamon, and ginger to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and allow to steep for 10 minutes.
- Pass through a double-mesh strainer and into a pitcher with the 8 cups (2 L) of filtered water. When straining, apply pressure to the hibiscus leaves so you get every last little bit of juice.
- While the water is still lukewarm, add the sugar and mix well until mostly dissolved. Serve over ice.