Crab and Poblano Chile Empanadas
Make this Tonight - "Empanadas For Everyone"
- For the empanada dough:
- 2 cups Maseca, dry corn masa
- 1 ¾ cups warm water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- For the empanada filling:
- ½ pound lump crab meat
- ½ Poblano Pepper, roasted, skinned, seeded, chopped
- ½ small white onion, chopped
- ½ Roma Tomato, chopped
- ½ tablespoon Montana Mex Avocado oil
- 1 ½ Garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Montana Mex Jalapeno seasoning
- ⅓ cup chopped Cilantro leaves and stems
- For the empanada dough: In a large bowl add Masa, salt and stir in water.
- Stir until Masa dough starts to form a ball.
- Remove from the bowl and knead until the dough is pliable like play dough or soft cookie dough.
- Divide dough into 6 equal-sized balls and cover until ready to use.
- Heat a medium-sized sauté pan over med/hi heat.
- Add avocado oil, onion, tomato and cook while stirring a few times for 1 minute.
- Add poblano, garlic, cilantro and Crabmeat. Continue to cook over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Lower heat to low and place a lid on the crab filling. Cook, covered for 4- 5 minutes.
- Remove Crab filling from the heat and adjust the seasonings as needed.
- Allow cooling to room temperature before filling empanadas.
- To assemble the empanadas: Using a tortilla press or in between two sheets of plastic & press masa into 1/8 inch thick tortillas 6 - 7 inches across.
- Place a large spoonful of filling on one half of the masa tortilla and fold the other half of the tortilla over the filling into a half-moon shaped empanada, press edges firmly together.
- Shallow fry in med/hot oil until brown and crispy.
- Serve with Charred Pickled Red Onions & Sweet and Spicy Habanero Salsa and Jalapeno Lime Crema.
- To purchase Montana Mex oils and spices, check out MontanaMex.com