- 1 pint cooked rice
- Kosher salt to taste
- Clarified butter for frying
- 5 oz green beans
- 4 oz picked crab meat
- 5 oz thick-cut bacon lardons, rendered until crispy-reserve bacon fat
- ¼ English cucumber, sliced into thin rounds on a mandolin
- 3 scallions, green part only, cut on a bias and soaked in ice water
- 7 sprigs of Cilantro, picked with 2 inches of stem left on
- Lemon wedges
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Cook rice following the instructions on your rice cooker or bag of rice.
- Once cooked and cool enough to handle, but not cold- divide the cooked rice into 2 lightly sprayed half-pint deli cups with pan spray, press evenly. If you don’t have ring molds or deli cups, free form patties with your hands, lightly dampened with water.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours.
- In a large saute pan over medium-high heat, add enough clarified butter to pool slightly in the bottom of a sauté pan.
- Add the rice cakes, season with salt.
- Cook on one side until the rice is crisped, the kernels are slightly puffed, and golden.
- Baste some butter a few times over the visible part of the rice.
- In a separate large sauté pan on medium-high heat add enough bacon fat with a touch of clarified butter to sauté the green beans, keeping them al dente.
- Add the crisped bacon to warm through and the crab right at the end to warm, season with salt. Remove off heat.
- Place the crab and bacon mix into the bottom of the bowl, place the golden rice cake face up on top.
- Garnish with a dollop of aioli, cucumbers, cilantro sprigs, fresh black pepper, and scallions.
- Serve with a lemon wedge on the side.