- 3 tablespoons avocado oil
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon cloves, whole
- 1 tablespoon allspice, whole
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- ½ lb habaneros, rinsed, stems removed
- 5 carrots, peeled and cut into 1” chunks
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup white vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup whole grain mustard
- In a saucepot, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and onions and cook until soft, about 2 minutes.
- Create a spice sachet by wrapping the cloves, allspice, and bay leaves in a piece of cheesecloth that is tied with string or kitchen twine and place in the pot.
- Add habaneros, carrots, water, white vinegar and sugar and cook covered over medium heat until the carrots are softened and the chilies start to break down, about 45 minutes.
- Remove the sachet and discard.
- Place the solids from the pot into the blender and puree. Add the liquid from the pot as needed to get your desired consistency. Just before that, add the mustard and mix. Taste and adjust the salt if needed.