- 1 lb salt cod
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 white onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 eggs
- 2-3 medium Yukon gold potatoes
- Salt to taste
- 2 t red pepper flakes
- 4 cups canola oil
- Rice Flour
- chives (for garnish)
- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 ea lemon, juiced
- 2 ea cloves of garlic, microplaned
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 cups blended canola and olive oil
- Start salt cod in cold water and bring to a boil, discard the water and repeat 3 times until all the salt has cooked out of the fish and it is soft
- Using forks and your fingers, pick apart the cod fish into tiny flakes so it resembles little hairs
- Meanwhile, in a separate pot, bring the potatoes up from cold in lightly salted water to a boil and cook until soft, set aside
- Roughly chop the onion, pepper, and garlic and pulse in a food processor until small dice.
- Drain the veg in a fine mesh strainer, or colander until most of the juice has come out
- Mix the drained veg with the picked salt cod
- Heat your 4 cups of oil in medium saucepan
- Use a ricer, and rice the potatoes into your fish and veggie mix, season with red pepper flakes and taste,
- Beat the eggs and mix them into the mixture with a large wooden spoon. If the mixture seems a little wet, you can add a bit of flour to bind or rice flour if you want to keep the recipe gluten free.
- When the oil has come to temp, roll the mixture into 2 oz balls or use a 2 oz scoop, to drop them 4 at a time into the hot oil. Fry for about 4-6 minutes or until golden brown, and then let dry on a plate with a paper towel.
- Serve with your favorite hot sauce, aioli, or classically with a side of mayo
- Place egg, egg yolk, and lemon juice in 2 cup container, like a plexi glass measuring cup.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the ingredients together until smooth
- Slowly drizzle in oil to emulsify the aioli together while the blender is running
- Once Combined, add the pinch of salt and garlic and blend once more
- Taste and adjust to your liking