- 4 cups water
- 1 sheet kombu
- 2 cups dried shiitake mushrooms
- 2 cups bonito flakes
- 2 white onions, sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, microplaned
- 2 bunches collard greens, sliced thinly
- 2 bunches amaranth, picked from stem
- 1 tablespoons red pepper flakes
- Salt to taste
- Place kombu, mushrooms, and water in a medium saucepan of cold water, bring to a low simmer for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and add the bonito flakes, steep for 30-45 seconds then drain the ingredients and save the broth.
- Saute the onions, and ginger until translucent. Add the microplaned garlic and stir, add the finished dashi broth and red pepper flakes. Add the collard greens, cover and cook for about an hour until the greens are soft.
- Once the greens are fully cooked, stir in the amaranth, saute for about 2 minutes until it is just wilted. Season with salt and serve.