- 1⁄2 pound cooked black-eyed peas
- 7 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin, plus more for garnish (optional) 1⁄2 cup tahini, at room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup and 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice salt to taste
- paprika, for garnish
- Resie rub for garnish
- parsley for garnish
- In a medium bowl, cover the dried black-eyed peas with 2 inches of water. Refrigerate the peas overnight. Drain the black-eyed peas and rinse them under cold water.
- In a medium saucepan, cover the black-eyed peas with 2 inches of fresh water. Add the garlic cloves and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderately low heat until the black-eyed peas are tender, about 40 minutes. Drain, reserving 10 tablespoons of the cooking water. Rinse the black-eyed peas and garlic under cold water.
- In a food processor, puree the black-eyed peas with 1⁄2 cup of the reserved cooking water, 1⁄4 cup of the olive oil and 6 the garlic cloves. Add the cumin (optional) & salt to taste along with 1⁄4 cup each of the tahini and lemon juice and process until creamy. Season the hummus with salt and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Garnish with Resie's rub Olive oil and Parsley.
- Serve with pita or Lavash or on sandwiches.