- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed by hand
- 1 jalapeno seeded and roughly chopped into ¼” pieces
- 2 cans black beans (do not drain)
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 bunch cilantro, leaves and stems, plus extra leaves for garnish
- ½ cup ricotta, plus extra for garnish
- Heat olive oil in a saute pan and saute onions, garlic, and jalapeño together until the onions are golden (about 5 minutes.)
- Add the beans and their liquid to the pan along with the cinnamon and cumin.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes to cook down the liquid.
- Pour everything in the pan into a blender.
- Add the cilantro and ½ cup of ricotta to the blender and blend until smooth.
- Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Garnish with a dollop of ricotta and cilantro leaves. Can be served hot or cold.