- 1L room temperature water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1tbsp sugar
- 1tsp nutmeg, ground
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 4 cups flour
- Vegetable oil
- ½ cup of sugar and ground cinnamon to taste
- In a large saucepan under high heat, combine water, salt, sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon stick and vanilla.
- Allow to come to a rolling boil, stir and remove cinnamon stick. Reduce heat to low.
- Add flour all at once and stir vigorously with a rubber spatula until mixture comes together and it’s smooth. Remove from heat and allow the mix to cool.
- Heat about 2 inches of vegetable oil in a deep large frying pan over medium-high heat to 365 degrees.
- Transfer to a 16-inch piping bag fitted with a rounded star tip (no bigger than 1/2-inch).
- Carefully pipe mixture into heated oil, about 6-8 inch length each, cutting ends with kitchen shears or sharp knife.
- Remove each churro carefully and place on a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- While still hot, toss in sugar and cinnamon mixture. Serve hot.