Make this Tonight - "Not Your Mom's Meatballs & Gnocchi"
- 2 cups (480 grams) ricotta cheese, strained overnight
- 1/4 cup (25 grams) Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, finely grated
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1-2 cups 00 or AP flour, plus more for dusting
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Mortadella Meatballs, recipe follows
- Carrot top pesto, recipe follows
- Basil leaves, for garnish
- Mint leaves, for garnish
- To make the gnocchetti, in a large bowl, combine the egg, strained ricotta, ¼ cup Parmigiano cheese, melted butter, and season with salt.
- Add ½ of the flour and mix until just combined, the dough should be sticky, but not too wet.
- If wet, gradually add more flour in small increments.
- Dust the work surface with flour and dump the dough on top.
- Dust the surface of the dough with flour to prevent more sticking when rolling.
- Break the dough into quarters and roll into thin logs (about ¾ inch).
- Cut the logs into smaller pieces (about ½ inch) and roll them into balls to make the mini gnochetti.
- To cook, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add gnocchetti and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until they float to the top.
- Add cooked gnocchi with seared mortadella meatballs in the pan used to cook meatballs.
- Add a few spoonfuls of carrot top pesto to coat and toss.
- Plate and garnish with basil and mint leaves.