Arroz con Pegao (Rice with Crispy Bits)
Make this Tonight - "Puerto Rican Pride"
- 3 cups boiling water
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 cups medium-grain white rice, washed until water runs clear
- Salt to taste (approx 2 teaspoons)
- In a dutch oven melt the butter over medium heat. When it froths, add the rice, mix it into the butter and let it toast for a minute. Add the boiling water into the rice. Add salt to taste. Stir.
- Cook uncovered for 5 to 10 minutes until most of the water has evaporated but still bubbles out of the steam holes over the surface of the rice.
- Stir the rice, reduce the heat to low and cover the pot. Cook for another 10 minutes without stirring.
- Turn the heat up to mid-high, cook for an additional 5 minutes more or until the rice grains are tender.
- After you portion out the rice, scrape up the crispy bits on the bottom of the pot to serve on top of your rice.