- 1 ½ pounds pork shoulder, with no skin, cut into even-sized chunks
- 1 ½ tablespoons kosher salt
- ½ tablespoon coarse ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground annatto
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chopped finely chopped cilantro stems
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- Zest of one lime
- Juice of one lime
- 1 ½ tablespoons wine vinegar
- In a food processor mix salt, pepper, garlic, annatto, ¼ cup canola oil, ground cumin, cilantro stems, oregano, lime juice, and zest. Mix until you have a paste.
- Rinse the meat and pat dry. Add vinegar and seasoning blend. Let marinate 2 hours or overnight.
- Add the remaining 2 cups of canola to a dutch oven set on high. When the oil reaches 350 degrees add a medium-sized batch of pork and deep fry about 10-12 minutes.
- Remove the pork from the pan and set aside on a paper towel-lined plate to soak up any excess oil.
- Once the meat is all cooked, reserve one cup from the frying oil and discard the rest.