Spinach, Tofu, Seaweed Egg Drop Soup
Make this Tonight - "Dinner with My Chinese Grandma"
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped ginger
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion
- 1 cup soft tofu, diced
- 4 cups baby spinach leaves
- ½ ounce dried seaweed (nori)
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Heat up oil in a 4-quart soup pot over medium heat, add ginger and green onion, sweat them for 30 seconds, and add chicken stock.
- When the soup base is simmering, add tofu, seaweed, light soy sauce, stir well.
- Combine cornstarch and water in a small bowl, mix well and add to the soup.
- When the soup thickens from the slurry, add spinach.
- Crack eggs into the small bowl, break the yolks and mix with egg white with a fork, do not whisk air into the eggs.
- Float egg mixture on top of the soup and gently stir and fold, create ribbons of eggs in the soup.
- Remove soup off the heat as soon as the egg ribbons are formed.
- Finish with sesame oil.