- 1 cup (128g) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon (3g) salt
- 5 tablespoons (75g) unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 3 tablespoons (45g) shortening, cold and cubed
- ¼ cup (60ml) ice water
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) white vinegar
- 2 cups (400g) quartered strawberries
- 2 cups (400g) ½-inch pieces fresh rhubarb
- 2 teaspoons (10g) orange zest
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) vanilla extract
- ½ cup (115g) granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons (30g) cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon (1g) cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon (1g) grated nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) milk
- 2 tablespoons (30g) turbinado sugar
- Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment; set aside.
- Pulse together flour and salt in a food processor.
- Add butter and shortening and pulse dough to hazelnut-sized pieces.
- Pulse in water and vinegar until dough begins to come together. Turn the dough out onto plastic wrap, wrap and press the dough into a 1-inch (2 ½ cm) thick disk.
- Refrigerate for 45 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into ¼-inch thick/10-inch round and transfer to prepared sheet.
- Preheat oven to 400F (205C).
- Combine strawberries, rhubarb, orange zest, vanilla, granulated sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and grated nutmeg in a large bowl.
- Spoon fruit mixture into the centre of the dough, leaving a 2-inch (5cm) border.
- Fold the edges of the galette up over the fruit to form a crust.
- Whisk together the egg and milk in a small bowl.
- Brush mixture onto crust and then sprinkle crust with turbinado sugar.
- Bake until crust is golden and fruit is tender, about 35 to 40 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature before cutting to serve.