- 2 cups (240g) flour
- 1 tablespoon (15g) sugar
- ½ teaspoon (3g) salt
- 1 cup (225g) unsalted butter, cold, cubed
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) milk
- 1-¼ cups (280g) sugar
- ½ cup (65g) cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon (1g) salt
- 2-½ cups (590ml) water
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon (15g) butter
- ½ teaspoon (3g) vanilla
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) calamansi or lemon zest
- ½ cup (120ml) calamansi juice (or 6 tablepoons (90ml) lemon juice + 2 tablespoons (30ml) orange juice)
- 4 egg whites
- ¼ tsp (1g) cream of tartar
- ½ cup (115g) superfine sugar
- ¼ teaspoon (1g) cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon (1g) vanilla
- Combine flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl.
- Cut in butter with a pastry cutter or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Beat egg and milk together in a small bowl. Add to flour mixture and stir together to form a shaggy dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently to bring together. Wrap in plastic wrap and form into a disk. Refrigerate 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 400F (205C).
- Roll dough on a lightly floured work surface to ¼-inch thick.
- Transfer to a 9-inch (23cm) pie plate, trim and crimp edges.
- Refrigerate for 15 minutes. Dock the bottom all over with a fork.
- Line with aluminum foil or parchment paper and fill it with pie weights or dried beans.
- Bake crust for 20 to 25 minutes, until beginning to set and brown at edges.
- Remove foil or parchment and weights.
- Continue to bake until golden, about 8 to 12 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- Whisk together sugar, cornstarch and salt in a medium saucepan. Slowly whisk in water and turn heat on to medium.
- Bring mixture to a boil, whisking frequently, until thick and glossy, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Place the yolks in a heat-proof bowl.
- Slowly stream in about 1 cup (225g) sugar mixture into egg yolks. Add to remaining sugar mixture and cook, whisking constantly, over medium heat for 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in butter, vanilla, zest and juice.
- Pour into cooled crust. Cover surface of filling with plastic wrap while preparing meringue.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed with a hand mixer in a large bowl until foamy.
- Whisk together sugar and cornstarch in a small bowl. Increase speed to high and add sugar mixture one tablespoon (15g) at a time until the egg whites hold medium peaks.
- Remove plastic from filled pie crust and dollop about half meringue onto filling, spreading to ensuring it touches crust all the way around pie.
- Using a butter knife or skewer, swirl through the meringue and filling to further affix the two together. Dollop remaining meringue onto the pie and swirl.
- Bake until meringue is golden, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving.