- 6½ cups (1540ml) reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 small yellow onion, unpeeled and roughly chopped
- Turkey neck and giblets
- 3 sprigs thyme
- Turkey drippings from roasting pan
- ¼ cup (30g) cornstarch
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Bring 6 cups (1420ml) broth to a simmer in a medium pot with onion, neck and giblets and thyme. Cover pot and simmer for 2 hours. Strain broth through a fine mesh strainer.
- Skim all but ¼ cup (60ml) fat off drippings in roasting pan; add stock to roasting pan.
- Place roasting pan over medium heat and bring it to a simmer.
- In a small dish, whisk together cornstarch and remaining broth. While whisking gravy mixture, pour in cornstarch slurry. Continue to whisk and simmer until thick.
- Strain through a fine mesh strainer. Season with salt and pepper and serve.