- 1¼ cups (140g) flour
- 1 teaspoon (5g) fine salt
- 10 tablespoons (150g) butter, cold and cubed
- 1/3 cup (75ml) ice water
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) vodka
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1½ cups (350ml) whole milk
- 2¼ cups (600g) pure pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon (5g) salt
- 2 cups (400g) brown sugar
- 1½ teaspoons (8g) cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon (5g) ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon (3g) ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon (1g) ground cloves
- For serving: whipped cream & cinnamon
- Combine flour and salt in a large bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs with some pea-sized pieces.
- Combine water and vodka in a measuring cup and add to flour mixture. Stir to form a shaggy dough. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and bring it together. Wrap in plastic, form into a disk and refrigerate for an hour.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry into a 13-inch (33cm) round. Place it in a deep 9-inch (23cm) pie plate. Trim and crimp the edges. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Heat oven to 400F (205C).
- Whisk together filling ingredients in a large bowl. Pour into shell.
- Bake for 10 minutes, reduce the heat to 350F (176C) and continue to bake until the middle is just set, about 1 hour. Tent with foil if pie begins to brown.
- Transfer pie to wire cooling rack to cool completely. Serve topped with whipped cream and sprinkled with cinnamon.