- 5 lbs (2.25kg) yellow fleshed potatoes, peeled and cut into 1½ inch (4cm) chunks
- ½ cup (113g) unsalted butter, cubed, room temperature, divided
- 1 brick (250g) cream cheese, cubed, room temperature
- 1 cup (250g) sour cream
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups (100g) crushed flaked corn cereal
- 2 cups (250g) grated medium cheddar cheese
- Spray a 2L casserole dish with cooking spray. Heat oven to 350F (176C).
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan covered with 1 inch (2½ cm) of water. Season water liberally with salt and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Cook potatoes until very tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Drain and return to pan and mash.
- Add 1/3 cup (75g) butter, cream cheese and sour cream. Beat with a hand mixer until fluffy. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon into prepared dish and spread evenly to edges.
- Sprinkle with cereal and cheese and dot with remaining butter.
- Bake until cheese is melted and edges are beginning to brown, about 35 minutes.