- 1-1 ¼ lbs. (450-500g) ground bison
- 1 pcs (about ¼ lb or 100 g) chorizo sausage, casing removed
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) canola oil
- Kosher salt
- 4 slices cheese, optional
- 4 burger buns
- 2 tablespoons (30g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- Burger toppings
- Heat a cast iron griddle or skillet over medium-high heat until very hot, about 2 minutes.
- Gently mix together bison and chorizo in large bowl until well combined.
- Brush pan with oil.
- Divide meat into four, sprinkle one side of each portion liberally with salt and place, salt side down onto grill. Smash burgers into approximately 4 to 5-inch (10-12 cm) rough patties with a spatula and season tops of patties with salt.
- Cook until edges brown, about 3 to 4 minutes. Flip burgers and cook for another minute before topping with cheese, if using. Continue to cook until 160F (71C), about 2 min. Remove burgers to a plate and rest for 3 minutes.
- Turn heat down to medium. Butter cut sides of buns and place butter-side down on griddle. Toast until golden, about 2 min.
- Place burgers on buns and garnish as desired.