Lemon Poppy Seed Squares
Mary's Kitchen Crush - "Dinner for One"
- 1 cup (225g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup (115g) granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon (3g) almond extract, optional
- 2 cups (260g) flour
- 3 tablespoons (40g) poppy seeds
- ¼ teaspoon (1g) salt
- 4 eggs
- 1-¼ cup (280g) granulated sugar
- 2 lemons, zested
- 2/3 cup (156ml) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ cup (40g) flour
- ½ teaspoon (3g) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon (3g) salt
- 2 tablespoons (30g) icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons (30g) poppy seeds
- Heat oven 350F (176C). Spray a 9-inch (23cm) square baking pan with cooking spray. Line with parchment; set aside.
- For the crust, cream together butter, granulated sugar and almond extract with a hand mixer in a large bowl until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Mix in flour, poppy seeds and salt just until combined.
- Press into bottom and 1/2-inch (1 ½ cm) up sides of prepared pan. Dock crust with a fork. Refrigerate 10 to 15 minutes.
- Bake until lightly browned, about 25 to 30 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Reduce temperature to 325F (163C).
- For the filling, whisk together eggs and granulated sugar in a large bowl. Add lemon zest and juice followed by flour, baking powder and salt.
- Pour into crust and bake until set, about 20 to 25 minutes. Cool to room temperature. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Lift squares from pan using the parchment edges. Dust with icing sugar and scatter with poppy seeds before cutting to serve.