- 3 tablespoons (45g) brown sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons (10g) garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons (10g) chili powder
- 1 teaspoon (5g) cumin
- 1½ teaspoons (8g) kosher salt, divided
- ¾ teaspoon (4g) freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 lb. (900g) boneless pork roast
- 6 cups (1.4L) no-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) canola oil
- ½ cup (125ml) balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup (125ml) prepared barbeque sauce
- 3 tablespoons (45g) honey
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 soft buns
- Heat oven to 350F (176C).
- Stir together 1 tablespoon (15g) brown sugar, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, 1 teaspoon (5g) salt and ½ teaspoon (3g) pepper in a small bowl.
- Pat roast dry and rub with spice mixture.
- Heat oil in Dutch oven or large, oven-safe saucepan over medium high heat.
- Add pork roast and brown all over, turning occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Add broth and bring to a simmer. Cover and place in oven.
- Cook for 3½ hours, remove from oven and rest, covered for 30 minutes.
- Drain pork juices and shred pork with two forks. Add sauce and stir to combine. Spoon mixture onto buns to serve.
- Bring vinegar, barbeque sauce, remaining brown sugar, honey, garlic and remaining salt and pepper to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Cook until thickened, about 20 to 25 minutes.