Mary's Kitchen Crush - "Appy to be Nominated"
- 2 cups (250g) grated Emmental cheese
- 2 cups (250g) grated Gruyere cheese
- 1½ tablespoons (25g) cornstarch
- 1 clove garlic, halved
- 1 cup (236ml) dry white wine
- 1 tablespoons (15ml) lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) brandy
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- Kosher salt
- Cubed bread, toasted or untoasted, blanched vegetables, cured meats, for dipping
- Toss cheese in a large bowl with cornstarch to coat; set aside.
- Rub cut sides of the garlic inside a fondue pot or large stainless-steel bowl set over a pot with 1-inch (2½ cm) of gently simmering water.
- To pot add wine, lemon juice and brandy and heat until steaming. Add cheese a handful at a time, stirring until cheese is mostly melted between additions. Stir in nutmeg and salt to taste.
- Serve immediately over low heat or over a pot of hot water. Stir frequently.
- Tip: Once you start adding the cheese, be careful to keep the temperature just below a simmer. Too cold and the fondue will seize. Too hot and the fondue will break.