- 500 g yellow fleshed potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 sprig thyme
- Kosher salt
- 1 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 3 tablespoons (45g) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup (125ml) 35% cream
- 325 g Tomme d’Auvergne cheese, grated (or 200 g Gruyere and 125 g fresh mozzarella or fontina)
- Place potatoes and thyme in a medium saucepan covered with 1-½-inches (4cm) of water. Liberally salt water and bring to a boil over high heat. Cook until potatoes are fork tender, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Combine garlic, butter and heavy cream in a small saucepan and heat gently over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and discard the thyme. Pass potatoes through a ricer or a food mill back into saucepan.
- Add cream mixture and place over medium-low heat and stir the mixture together with a wooden spoon.
- Gradually add in grated cheese a handful at a time until mixture is stringy and thick. Season with salt.