- 12 zucchini blossoms
- 1 cup (110g) grated old cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons (45g) cream cheese, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons (45g) finely diced jarred pimento or roasted red pepper
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) mayonnaise
- ½ jalapeno, seeded and minced
- ¼ tsp (1g) chili flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon (1/2g) garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon (1/2g) onion powder
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ½ cup (64g) flour
- 2 tablespoons (30g) cornstarch
- ¾ teaspoon (4g) kosher salt
- ¾ cup (60ml) soda water
- Canola oil, for frying
- For the blossoms, heat oven to 200F(93C). Line a rimmed baking sheet with a cooling or roasting rack; set aside.
- Remove zucchini blossom stamens with a small spoon, kitchen shears or fingers.
- Combine grated cheese, cream cheese, pimento, mayonnaise, jalapeno, chili flakes, garlic powder and onion powder in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Using a small spoon, gently fill each zucchini blossom with a tablespoon of filling.
- Gently twist tops of zucchini blossoms to enclose the filling; set aside.
- Whisk together flour, cornstarch and ¾ tsp (4g) salt in a small bowl.
- Whisk in soda water until combined.
- Heat 2-inches of oil over medium-high heat in a large heavy bottomed pot to 350F (176C).
- Working in batches of 4, dip zucchini blossoms into batter and fry until light golden all over, about 2 to 3 minutes, flipping halfway and adjusting heat up or down to maintain temperature.
- Transfer to the prepared sheet, sprinkle with salt and place in oven to stay warm.