- 1 head garlic
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 2¼ cups (288g) all-purpose flour, plus more for kneading
- 1½ teaspoons (4 ½ g) dry instant yeast
- 1½ teaspoons (9g) granulated sugar
- 1½ teaspoons (9g) kosher salt
- ¾ cup (177ml) very warm tap water
- ½ cup (120ml) olive oil, divided
- 1 cup (150g) coarsely grated parmesan
- Heat oven to 400F (205C). Oil a large bowl; set aside.
- Trim ¼-inch (1/2 cm) off top of garlic bulb to expose cloves.
- Place on a piece of aluminum foil and drizzle with olive oil and season with salt.
- Wrap the bulb tightly in foil and bake until softened, 40 to 45 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Combine 2¼ cups (288g) flour, instant yeast, sugar and salt in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the middle then pour in water and ¼ cup (60ml) of olive oil and stir with a wooden spoon to form a shaggy dough.
- Turn onto a well-floured work surface, squeeze the garlic out of the papery skin onto the dough and knead for 6 minutes until soft and springy, adding more flour as needed to create a soft, but not sticky dough.
- Shape dough into a ball and place in prepared bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and a clean kitchen towel and allow the dough to rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Pour remaining olive oil into a 9x13-inch (33x23 cm) baking pan and set aside.
- Turn dough into pan and press to nearly fill pan, poking fingers into dough to stretch gently.
- Cover with plastic wrap and kitchen towel and allow it to rise in a warm place, until almost double in size, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 425F (218C).
- Scatter loaf with parmesan and bake until golden brown, about 20 to 22 minutes.