- 5 pounds bone-in pork short ribs
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 12 dates, pitted
- 1 (750-milliliter) bottle dry red wine (preferably Cabernet Sauvignon)
- 4 cups low-salt beef stock
- 1 sprig thyme
- 4 sprigs oregano
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- 1 head of garlic, halved crosswise
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- In a large pot over high heat, caramelize pork ribs then remove and let cool. In the same pot, add cabbage, onions, carrots and celery and cook until tender and colored.
- Add tomato paste, dates and red wine; cook until reduced by two-thirds. Add stock, thyme, oregano, rosemary, garlic, parsley and bay leaves and bring to a simmer.
- Add pork ribs back in, making sure they are covered by liquid. Cover with a lid and place in the oven for 2 to 3 hours until meat is falling off the bone.