- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup espresso
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 envelope active dry yeast
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/3 cup sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 1 egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup whole milk, warm
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon coffee extract
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 2 quarts vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- In a heavy-bottomed pan, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch and espresso powder.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together milk, espresso and yolks. Pour into sugar mixture. Add butter. Cook over medium heat until boiling, whisking constantly. Let bubble for about one minute, until mixture is thick.
- Place plastic wrap on the surface of the espresso cream. Set aside to cool in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours and up to a couple of days.
- In a small bowl, mix yeast with one tablespoon of flour, one tablespoon of sugar and two tablespoons of warm water. When yeast is bubbly, about 5 to 7 minutes, place in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Add in egg, egg yolks, milk, vanilla extract, orange zest, coffee extract, salt, 2 cups of flour and remaining sugar. Mix until combined, then add in butter gradually, mixing well between additions. Add remaining flour a bit at a time until the dough is smooth and shiny. Dough is ready when no longer sticky. Place the dough in a greased bowl and cover. Allow to rise for about 1 hour, until the dough has doubled in size.
- Roll out dough to about 3/4-inch thick. Using a 3-inch round cookie cutter, cut rounds and set aside on a parchment-lined sheet tray. Cover the rounds and set aside to rise, about 45 minutes.
- In a large Dutch oven or other heavy-bottomed pot, heat oil to 350 degrees. Fry donuts for about a minute per side, and set aside to cool slightly on a paper towel-lined tray.
- Fill the donuts with the chilled espresso cream and dust with the powdered sugar and espresso powder. Serve immediately.