Dancing Queen Cupcakes
- 429g all-purpose flour
- 265g caster (superfine) sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 375ml of milk
- 125ml vegetable oil
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tbsp Greek yogurt (can substitute with sour cream)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp strawberries and cream essence (or any flavour of your choosing)
- 1 batch Swiss meringue buttercream frosting
- To make the colours for the frosting and batter you’ll need the following food gel colours:
- RED, 2 drops red red food gel + 2 drops deep pink food gel
- PINK, 2 drops deep pink food gel
- ORANGE, 2 drops orange food gel + 1 drop yellow food gel
- YELLOW, 3 drops yellow food gel
- GREEN, 2 drops teal food gel + 1 drop yellow food gel (optional)
- BLUE, 1 drop sky blue food gel
- PURPLE, 2 drops deep purple food gel + 2 drops deep pink food gel
- Coloured sprinkles of your choice
- Edible glitter
Dancing Queen Cupcakes
- Preheat a fan-forced oven to 160C (320F) or 180C (356F) for a conventional oven.
- Line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the flour, baking powder, caster sugar and salt. Turn mixer on low speed and allow it to mix for a couple minutes to help everything combine well (alternatively you may do this by sifting the ingredients together). Add the softened butter and let it mix until it resembles a fine sand like texture.
- Next, add milk, eggs, yogurt, oil, strawberries and cream essence and vanilla extract in a large jug and whisk well.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients in a slow and steady stream until no dry ingredients are visible. Scrape down the bowl and mix for another 20 seconds.
- Divide batter into 7 different bowls.
- Colour each one using the 7 different colour combinations listed in the ingredients list.
- Add each coloured batter into a piping bag or zip lock bag and pipe small blobs of each colour into the cupcake liners filling them up ¾ of the way.
- Bake for 20-25 min or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow them to cool completely on a wire cooling rack before frosting.
- To prepare frosting split into seven different bowls and use the colour combinations in the ingredients list to colour.
- Add to separate piping bags.
- Lay out a large sheet of plastic wrap onto your workbench. Pipe rows of each coloured frosting next to each other as demonstrated in the video.
- Add to a piping bag fitted with a Wilton 8B piping tip.
- Core the centre of each cupcake and fill with your favourite sprinkles.
- Frost a swirl of frosting on top of each cupcake and finish off with a light dusting of edible glitter.