Apple Pie Roll Ups
Sugar Fix - "Small Sweets"
- 4 Granny Smith apples
- Water & lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 25 grams unsalted butter
- 35 grams soft light brown sugar
- 30 grams caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 2 tablespoons water
- Cinnamon sugar:
- 100 grams caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 10+ slices of white medium sliced bread
- 80 grams unsalted butter, melted
- Peel apples and cut into quarters. Remove the core and cut the remainder into small chunks. Once cut place in a large bowl of water with fresh lemon juice to stop the apples from browning.
- In a saucepan melt together the butter and cinnamon. Add the apple chunks draining off most of the water, pour over the two sugars and stir until dissolved.
- Cover with lid and cook over a medium heat for 10 minutes, or until softened. Make sure to stir occasionally.
- In a separate bowl, mix together cornflour and water to form a smooth liquid/paste.
- Add to the softened apples and simmer for 2 minutes until sauce has thickened. Leave to cool slightly.
- Cut crusts off each slice of bread and use a rolling pin to flatten the bread. Spoon a small amount of the apple filling onto one end of the bread and roll it up short ways.
- Dip each roll up into the melted butter followed by the cinnamon sugar and place seam down onto a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180°C for 15 minutes. Leave to cool slightly before eating.