- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons white granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Maple syrup
- Strawberry ice cream or sorbet
- Sliced strawberries
- Prepare the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Combine the brown sugar, white sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in a flat tray or container; set aside.
- Melt the 1/4 cup butter in a small bowl.
- Preheat waffle iron.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all the liquid ingredients until smooth: eggs, milk, oil and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients: sugar, flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Mix together, then add to the liquid ingredients. Whisk by hand until batter is smooth.
- Add waffle batter onto hot waffle iron.
- Brush hot waffles with melted butter using a pastry brush, then drop into the cinnamon sugar mixture to coat. Do this for one or both sides. (Don't stack waffles. If not serving right away, place them in a single layer on a wire rack so they don't get soggy.)
- Serve waffles hot with a generous amount of maple syrup, a scoop of strawberry ice cream, and fresh berries on the side.