- 2 cups warm water
- 2 1/4 teaspoon yeast
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 sugar
- Olive oil for frying
- 1 cup hummus
- 1 jar roasted red peppers
- Habanero pepper
- 1/2 inch piece of ginger
- 1 teaspoon natural liquid smoke (no additive)
- In a very small bowl, add yeast and mix it with lukewarm water to activate.
- In a separate big bowl, add sugar, salt and flour and mix well.
- Add the yeast blend and enough room temperature water to get a thick mixture. Mix with bare hands.
- Cover the pan with a damp towel and let the dough slowly rise for 1 to 2 hours.
- Add olive oil to a saucepan and place over medium heat.
- When oil is hot enough, drop small amounts of batter to create little balls of beignets.
- Fry for few minutes until the side being fried turns brown. Turn each beignet around to get the same brown throughout the whole beignet.
- Once beignets are cooked through, remove from oil and place in a bowl lined with paper towels.
- Serve with spicy sauce.
- In a blender, add all sauce ingredients (hummus, roasted peppers, ginger, habanero peppers, salt, peppers, and liquid smoke).
- Blend until you get a smooth and creamy consistency. Set aside.