Create a free account with Tastemade to save recipes and videos!
With a little science and a bit more patience, you too can turn water from a liquid into a solid-ish ball of water.
- Hey I'm Zoe Kelly. This is Bill, Neil, and Beyonce, and welcome to The Kitchen Lab. This is the place where I'll be testing out some cool experiments, hacks, and fun things that we've all seen online and letting you know if they're worth a try at home. So grab a lab coat and let's get to testing. So I just saw this thing on the internet. It's called an edible water ball. I don't know it's a little weird, but today I have my homie here, Benison. Apparently Benison it's like a weird, squishy thing, and it has water in it and you can eat it, and it just bursts in your mouth.
- I don't know it looks super cool, but I think we should try it.
- Let's do it.
- But first we gotta suit up.
- Suit up baby.
- And now we just need our goggles.
- I'm suited.
- Now let's get out supplies. So what we're gonna do is if you wanna go ahead and pour all that water in this blender for me. And that's about four cups. And we're gonna grab our sodium alginate.
- Grab one teaspoon for me and put it in there.
- Go for it.
- Now we're just gonna go ahead and blend it up so it's evenly distributed.
- And we're gonna put this into a bowl, and we're gonna let our solution sit for a little bit, because we don't want any air bubbles. So just go ahead and put that to the side.
- And now we're gonna put him to work.
- You're gonna what?
- Can you clean this for me, please?
- Oh of course, of course. Thanks.
- I love having guests here. I have so much free time. I don't even know what to do with myself. Alright Benison, are you done?
- Yo, yo, yo.
- It took forever man.
- I mean you got squeaky clean, right?
- Go ahead and put that in there, and I have two cups of water. Alright and then we're gonna put half a teaspoon of calcium chloride into our water here, we're gonna blend that out as well. Alright and we go ahead and close it up, and.... Let's blend it up again... Alright... It's done, it's evenly diluted, if you wanna do me the honors, go ahead and pour this in our ice cube tray, and once he's done we're gonna go ahead and pop this into the freezer, it's gonna freeze until set, and then we're gonna move on to the second part. You're doing a great job.
- Thank you.
- No prob.
- There it is.
- Alright I'm gonna go ahead and pop this into the freezer, if you can go ahead and watch my fish, I'd appreciate it, thank you.
- She's taking forever, so uh, I'm gonna check out the... Whoa, can I touch this? What is this? Dude, it's crazy, this magnifying glass is crazy.
- What were you doing in here? I just heard a whole bunch of things happening while I was over there.
- I was just admiring the setup, it's really nice here.
- Alright well our ice cubes are now frozen, so go ahead and grab our solution that we have sitting in the back, and this is where science is gonna happen here.
- So once we pop these out, we're gonna put these in our solution, and as soon as my ice cube hits that sodium alginate, it's gonna start forming a really thin membrane.
- No way this is not...
- I'm just gonna go ahead and pop these in there.
- So right now all I see is cubes but you're telling me this is gonna turn into some crazy water ball.
- Once the ice cubes melt, they're just gonna be water but instead of the water just dissolving everywhere, they're gonna stay a little ball because of the membrane that's formed. Yeah, alright so now we're just gonna wait for the ice to melt and then we'll be ready to eat our edible balls of water.
- Awesome. What!
- Look at that.
- Yo, what is that? That's like...
- It's the solution, and it's really thick of this..
- Holy, I did not ex- I did not expect that. Yo.. It got all snotty, look at that.
- Here, you can take some of that.
- Are you like challenging me to come up with a handshake right now cause we can do this.
- No challenge, just friendship.
- Let's do it.
- I mean that's pretty good, that's very good.
- So let's go ahead and move this to the side and grab a bowl of water so we can rinse them out, alright let's grab a couple of them at a time and then we're just gonna wash the solution off of them before we eat it, so kind of work them with your hands a little bit. Alright let's go ahead and take our gloves off, we don't need them anymore, my hands are getting sweaty! Alright and you can take your glasses off too, we don't need them anymore.
- Oh yeah.
- He just looks so cool in them, I just... Alright so looks like one of them is completely melted, do you see it?
- What! Yeah that's insane.
- Alright, we gotta be very gentle with them... Check that out.
- So cool.
- How is that real?
- Look at it move!
- It's just a bubble in your hand.
- And it's water. That's so neat.
- Think of all the possibilities.
- Wait, this used to be an ice cube.
- And now, it's a ball of water. But they did say it was edible. You wanna try it? You wanna eat it?
- We're gonna eat this water bubble?
- Yeah, the concept is you're supposed to be able to just, bite into it and it pops in your mouth.
- OK, well cheers.
- Are you OK?
- That just like, that was just overwhelming, right? Cause you're in there, you're like, "Oh! It's in my mouth, gotta break it now.", and you break it and it just.. I expected like a, like a water, like a..
- Like a slight poof!
- Yeah like a....
- No that was.. check this.. POOF!
- Yeah, it was a PAH PAH!
- Off the bat, I'll be honest with you guys, that did not taste good.
- Yeah that wasn't delicious.
- It was not water, it was liquid, it's a liquid form. But it did not taste like water, I definitely think you guys should give it a try at home. Um, should you eat it? I mean it's not gonna kill you. Does it taste good? Not necessarily, but it's super super cool, I mean, look how much fun he's having. The face of pure joy right here, look how happy this man is.
- This is really cool.
- It is pretty cool. If you guys make this at home, make sure you tag me so I can see it, and if you have any experiments that you want us to do here in The Kitchen Lab, make sure you tag @TASTEMADE, we'll see you next time.
- So cool, eat it again, do it.
- Eat it again?!
- Do it! Do it! Do it!
- He was drowning.
Daily food & travel inspiration in your inbox
Coming right up
To save this video and more, Download the Tastemade App