- Hey, I'm Zoe Kelly. This is Bill, Neil, and Beyonce, and welcome to The Kitchen Lab. This is the place where I'll be testing out some cool experiments, hacks, and fun things that we've all seen online, and letting you know if they're worth a try at home. So, grab a lab coat and let's get to testing. Growing up, I was always told not to drink too much coffee, tea, or soda because it was supposed to stain your teeth.
- So today, I have Benison here with me, and we're gonna try it out--
- What's up?
- To see if it's a myth or if it's actually true.
- I'm hoping it's a myth. I mean, I've heard of it, I've heard about it, but I just consume so much coffee and soda.
- Alright, I'm gonna move my fish friends. Did you say hi to Beyonce?
- Yo, yo. They're looking great.
- I know.
- [Benison] The light really brings in the...
- You are shining, girl.
- Alright, so I'm gonna move them to the back, and you can go ahead and grab our eggs, and we'll get started. So here, we have three eggs. So, our eggs are gonna be our demonstration for teeth. See?
- It's pretty close, yeah.
- I brushed my teeth today, guys.
- Your teeth look great.
- Thank you. Alright, so first, we're gonna have to hollow these out. Have you ever hollowed out an egg before?
- No, I have no idea what that means.
- Oh, this is gonna be fun. So, go ahead and grab an egg.
- Grab a little pin, and you're gonna poke a hole at the top and the bottom.
- What, do you just--
- Yeah, what we wanna do is just break the egg so we have a little hole to blow that yolk out of. You got it?
- I did it.
- Alright, once you poke a hole on either side, we're gonna grab a paperclip and kind of extend it out like this, and go ahead and stick it in the hole that we already formed, and kind of do a little circular motion. And what that's doing, it's also breaking up the yolk, so it's gonna be a little easier to blow out of later, and then go ahead and do the other side, too. Look, see, I'm already dripping over here. My egg yolk is ready to come out. Alright. Okay, it's fine.
- Oh, no.
- It's fine, so, you can totally use that still, and your yolk is gonna come out a lot easier, too. Now, here's the fun part. You're gonna go ahead and blow on the other end. Yours is already dripping out.
- [Benison] Oh, god.
- Ready, go.
- Yours is more fun. Yours makes an elephant noise.
- Hang on, hang on, hang on, I gotta make it bigger. I broke-deded my egg.
- I brokeded my egg.
- I brokeded my egg. That's what happens when you're not careful, but it's fine, we're gonna keep rolling with it. Now that we've hollowed our eggs, let's go ahead and give them a quick bath so there's no more yolks inside.
- [Benison] Let it bubble a little bit, get some water in there.
- And then, just rinse them out. Alright, they look good, they look good. I'm gonna put this in the back. Now, let's go ahead and grab everything. We're gonna need coffee, chai tea, and some soda. Alright, so let's go ahead and dunk our eggs in our liquids, so I'm gonna dunk it in coffee. And if you let it sit for a second, you're gonna fill up with the liquid, and if it doesn't sink, go ahead and put, like, a small bowl or something on top of it so it sits under.
- Can you, like, keep it down? Right?
- Yeah. So obviously, a lot of us drink coffee and soda more than once a day, so I've done this ahead of time and done it three days in advance 'cause most of us will drink these liquids, like, more than one time, over years.
- All the time.
- So, I wanted to see what it would look like in the long-run. You ready to see that?
- I'm stoked, let's do this.
- [Zoe] Alright, and this is what it looks like after three days.
- Oh my gosh.
- Whoa, this is so brown.
- I don't even know where to start here. I'm kinda grossed out, the fact I had chai tea this morning.
- Wait, this was three days?
- So, these in the back are three days. These are two days, and this is just one day. So, can you imagine drinking soda, and tea and coffee for a long period of time?
- I drink cola and coffee everyday, multiple times. It's been years.
- Look at this, look how brown it is. Let me see, does it look?
- I don't know.
- I don't know, you also have to consider that our teeth have enamel, eggs don't. So, over time, these drinks are very acidic, so they will erode your enamel, and they'll eventually stain your teeth, but it will be a long period of time. Not so much like the egg, but still, this is pretty gross.
- This is disgusting. I mean, yo, white teeth, magic. Everyone wants white teeth.
- Everyone wants those pearly whites, right?
- I want them, but I've been doing this my whole life.
- You know what, I think the biggest thing about this, it's all about in moderation, so obviously, if you're having coffee every single day, you're eventually gonna get this, you know? But everything in moderation, I don't think is bad. So, the consensus is, I definitely think that you guys should try this at home, do it with things that you usually drink on a daily basis. Maybe, like, juice or tea, whatever it may be. But, make sure you tag us so we can see it, and if you have any experiments that you want us to do here at The Kitchen Lab, make sure you tag Tastemade and we'll check it out.
- Alright, we'll see you next time.
Daily food & travel inspiration in your inbox
Coming right up
To save this video and more, Download the Tastemade App