- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch
- Green tea, for serving
- To a sauce pot, add water and brown sugar; bring to a boil. Stir until all the sugar has dissolved. Turn off heat.
- In a bowl, add tapioca starch and 1 1/2 teaspoons of the hot sugar water and stir to combine. Remove from bowl and knead until a smooth pliable dough forms.
- Divide dough into smaller pieces, and roll out into thin cylinders. Cut off tiny pieces, and roll into tiny balls. Bring remaining sugar water in pot to a boil. Add tapioca pearls, stirring to ensure they do not stick. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes, or until soft but still chewy in the center. Remove from pot with a slotted spoon, transfer to a bowl and cover with sugar water. The tapioca pearls will become translucent. Pour tapioca into a glass and top with your favorite tea or juice.