- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- To assemble:
- 2 tablespoons royal icing
- Assorted candies
- In a small bowl, mix flour, spices, baking soda and sugar. Set aside.
- In a small pan, melt shortening over medium-high heat, about 1 minute. Add to flour mixture. Pour in molasses and mix until just combined but still crumbly.
- Turn out dough onto a piece of plastic wrap, and wrap to enclose completely; let cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Divide dough and place on six tiny baking sheets. Bake for 3 minutes.
- With royal icing in piping bags, pipe along the edges of cookie rectangles to adhere them together in the shape of a house. Add extra icing and candy to decorate.