- 2 cups mashed potatoes, day-old and chilled
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon chives, minced
- 12, 1/2-inch cubes cheddar cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup panko
- 4 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 tablespoon large flake salt
- In a large bowl, combine mashed potatoes, shredded cheddar cheese and chives.
- Scoop mixture into twelve, 1-inch balls and place a cube of cheddar cheese in each ball.
- Set in the fridge for 30 minutes to chill.
- Roll potato balls in egg and then panko.
- Fry in oil heated to 365 degrees until golden.
- Top with flake salt and serve warm.