What happens when you mix comfort food with the perfect food? Why, these delightful pizza pot pies of course!
Pizza Pot Pie
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup sliced button mushrooms
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup pizza sauce or marinara
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- 3 cups grated mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 unbaked roll-out pie crust, store-bought or homemade
- 12 slices pepperoni
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, add olive oil. Add Italian sausage and cook for 5 to 6 minutes, breaking apart with a spoon to crumble. Add the diced onion, green bell pepper and mushroom slices. Cook until softened, about 8 to 10 minutes, and season with salt and pepper. Add pizza sauce, black olives and 2 cups cheese, and stir for about 1 minute or until cheese is melted. Spoon filling into 4 (10-ounce) ramekins.
- Cut the pie crust into 4 circles slightly wider than the rim of the ramekins. Place the crust over the filled ramekins and seal to the edge with a fork. Cut an X in the center of each crust and place ramekins on a baking sheet. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until pie crust is golden.
- Remove the pot pies from the oven and sprinkle each equally with the remaining mozzarella and 3 slices of pepperoni. Return to the oven and cook for an additional 10 minutes or until cheese melts and begins to brown lightly at the edges. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.