- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 2 cups mashed purple yam
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Fresh whipped cream, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare a 9 by 13-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- Combine all ingredients.
- Pat the mixture into the bottom of the baking pan.
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the purple yam and cream cheese until smooth.
- Add the eggs, vanilla and butter until well combined.
- Finish with the confectioners' sugar. Mix well.
- Spread the purple yam mixture over the cake batter and bake for 35 to 45 minutes. Don't over-bake the cake! You want a little bit of a jiggle. Set aside to cool completely before cutting and serving.
- Serve with fresh whipped cream.