- 8 fresh peaches, peeled, pitted, and sliced thick
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice (1 lemon)
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup flour
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 Tablespoons (1 stick) chilled butter, diced into small cubes
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon sugar to sprinkle on top
- To easily remove peach skins, boil for 30 seconds, then shock in ice water. Remove skin, then slice thick pieces.
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F.
- In a 12-inch cast iron pan, on medium heat, melt butter, add peaches, lemon juice, white sugar, brown sugar, cornstarch, and cinnamon. Toss evenly to coat. When juices become bubbly, remove from heat and set aside.
- Spoon dough in lumps over peaches.
- Whisk together 2 teaspoons sugar with ¼ teaspoon cinnamon and sprinkle evenly over the top.
- Bake at 350˚F for 45-50 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for several minutes. Serve with sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and whisk to combine.
- Add chilled butter to flour and mix with a fork or your hands until it resembles coarse meal. Make a well in the center of the mixture.
- Pour milk into well in flour, add vanilla, stir and fold flour into mixture. Don’t over mix.