- 1/2 pound broccoli florets
- 1 cup kale, stemmed and chopped
- 1 (12 ounce) bag red lentil pasta
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Once boiling, add broccoli and kale and cook for 2 minutes, until soft but broccoli is still bright green.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove vegetables to a large bowl of ice water to stop the cooking.
- Meanwhile, drop pasta in the boiling water and set a timer as indicated in package directions.
- Drain the broccoli and kale from the ice water and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Add to the bowl of a food processor along with olive oil, Parmesan, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper. Pulse until smooth.
- Drain the pasta, reserving 1/2 cup pasta water. Transfer pasta to a large bowl, add half the pesto and stir to combine.
- Loosen the pesto with 1/4 cup pasta water if necessary. Serve immediately.
- TIP: Freeze the remaining pesto in a tightly covered container.